A Note from Derek Lim, Principle Attorney
Defeat COVID-19: Shelter in Place-Temporary Measures

The Law Offices of Derek Lim is ready, willing and able to meet legal service needs of our clients. However, amid the COVID-19 outbreak and to comply with the “Shelter in Place” directive issued by the San Francisco Bay Area authorities, our physical office is temporarily closed starting from March 17, 2020 until further notice. Read More

Understanding E1 and E2 visa requirements

If you are currently applying for a visa so that you can live and work in the United States, you will know that often the legal jargon and complex requirements can be overwhelming. If you are already in the U.S., you may worry that there is a risk of deportation if you do not get the appropriate visas. You may also be concerned about how your family, especially your young children, could be affected by this.

If you are seeking to gain an E1 or E2 visa, make sure that you understand the difference between the two, and that you have a clear understanding of the requirements. The following is an overview of both E1 and E2 visas.

What is an E1 visa?

An E1 visa can be obtained by a national of a treaty country to enter the U.S. to conduct international trade. When an E1 visa is successfully obtained, it will likely cover the individual's immediate family, typically the immigrant's spouse and their dependent children.

What are the requirements of an E1 visa?

First, the individual must be a national of a country with which the U.S. has a treaty of commerce and navigation. They must also maintain principal trade between this country and the United States.

What is an E2 visa?

An E2 visa is often referred to as a "treaty investor" visa. It enables potential foreign investors from one of over 30 countries with which the U.S. has trade treaties to reside in the country. This is done to attract international investment. The great advantage of an E2 visa is that it can be extended indefinitely.

What are the requirements of an E2 visa?

To gain an E2 visa, the individual should also be a national of a country with which the U.S. has a treaty of commerce and navigation. In addition, they must have invested in, or be in the process of investing in, a U.S. enterprise. They should be intending to reside in the US to direct their business investment through a managerial position.

If you want to gain entry to the United States for commercial purposes, make sure that you are prepared to prove your eligibility under the appropriate visa application. Don't delay, as the process can take some time.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Law Offices of Derek Lim

Fremont Office
3100 Mowry Avenue, Suite 204
Fremont, CA 94538

Toll Free: 800-769-3977
Phone: 510-818-0898
Fax: 510-818-0412
Fremont Law Office Map

San Francisco Office
580 California Street, 12th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104

Toll Free: 800-769-3977
Phone: 510-818-0898
Fax: 510-818-0412
Map & Directions

All mail is to be sent to Fremont address as we do not check mail at the
San Francisco location.